「日刊四字」へようこそ!

Now Featuring 1級 Grammar, Everyday Japanese That You Won't Find in the Book, and Language and Cultural Trivia!

Thursday, February 14, 2008

2級 Grammar 6-10

6) うえに
furthermore;
additionally;
on top of that

Used to add together things of similarly charged natures, either positive or negative. I won the lottery and I realized I can fly! My mother passed away, and I got stuck in the raptor cage again.

Ex: 去年、初めて自分の子供が出来たうえに、叔父さんにもなりました。

7) 上で・上の

and then, accordingly

Used in situations where a first action/condition results in/provides a base or justification for a subsequent action/condition. Hard, right? It's like: This is a very serious conversation about abstinence education の上で, you shouldn't laugh out loud. Or: I confirmed that it was, in fact, 100% Colombian Pure 上で、I authorized the buy.

Ex: 時間とお金がいっぱい掛かるので、よく考えた上で、決めてください。

8) 上は
(My book defines this as "以上は" which you may recognize as grammar point 3)
and then, what will possibly happen;
and then, what should happen;
and then, what I would like to happen

After a condition or action, used to express the speaker's strong feelings about what comes next, whether it be a judgment, a hope, or a guess. When you adopt a child 上は、you're supposed to feed it EVERY day.

Ex: 家を掃除する上は、中途半端じゃなくて、すべてきれいにするべきです。

9)うちに
Yosh! This one we learned for 3kyuu. Freebie.
while;
during the interval

While one condition continues to be the case, something else gets done. You'll hear the following example A LOT if you dine with Japanese people.

Ex: 熱いうちに、食べようよ!
My favorite thing to say when people accuse me of traveling too much: 日本にいるうちに。。。

10) うちに(2)・ないうちに
(Same as above with a negative form introduced)
Before one condition begins, something else gets done.

Ex: くらげが来ないうちに、ビーチに行こう!

No comments: