「日刊四字」へようこそ!

Now Featuring 1級 Grammar, Everyday Japanese That You Won't Find in the Book, and Language and Cultural Trivia!

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

意気投合

いき とうごう
iki tougou

It's been 9 days since I took off from Saga, and I've made it to Nagoya. Once I get to Tokyo, I'm going to try and post (for those of you who are interested) an account of my trip, and if I make it out to Saitama to see The Hopeless Romantic, you MIGHT even get a video. For now, suffice it to say that I have been through 14 prefectures, over 1500 kilometers (over 50 walked), ridden in over 20 cars... been to islands, mountains, waterfalls, shrines. And somehow (自画自賛だけど) I've managed to end up with 2,000 yen MORE then when I started. I'm not done yet, but I wanted to post a few pics, a few vocab words, and a great yojijukugo that I was saving for exactly this occasion.

Definition:
お互いに気持ちが通じ合い、一体感を感ずる。互いの気持ち、考えなどがぴったりと一致して親しくなること。
Translation:
1. To hit it off
2. To get along like peas in a pod
3. To discover a kindred spirit

The picture above is of Uno-san and his mother, who picked me up in Okayama and ended up giving me a tour of Okayama prefecture that lasted two days. I had intended to merely pass through Okayama but I'm glad I didn't! They treated me (and were kind enough to say that it felt) like I was family, even going so far as to buy souvenirs for me to take to my girlfriend in Tokyo!

The left picture below is of Azukizawa-san, who took me in the direction of Sakaiminato (Mizuki Shigeru's hometown), and he was by far the person that I had the best conversation with. Which is to say that we talked for hours about American television, our favorite action movies (Die Hard and Batman), and Eyeshield 21 (the only anime series I've ever watched regularly).

On the right are Riko-chan and Ryuunosuke-kun, whose mother gave me a lift on the final stretch to Nicky New-Job's apartment in Nagakute-cho, Nagoya. The kids were adorable, and we watched Thomas the Tank Engine together and ate chicken soup flavored potato chips.

















In all of these situations (and more) one word I kept hearing over and over in various incarnations was 縁, which you may remember from 合縁奇縁.

縁 means a relationship, or fate, or the bonds of fate, and is used to talk about chance meetings. I heard people using it with the honorific ご attached to talk about the relationships we formed meeting in this way. There are a lot of other words I learned with similar themes, but for today, let's focus on 縁 for a moment.

By itself you can use it to mean anything from "destiny that binds two people together," to "the chance to meet someone and start a relationship." It encompasses a broad range of meaning involved with connections between people.

Here are some compounds that use it:
  • 類縁 (るいえん;ruien): family relationship
  • 腐れ縁 (くされえん;kusare en): undesirable but unseverable tie
  • 血縁 (けつえん;ketsuen): blood relationship
  • 旧縁 (きゅうえん;kyuuen): old relationship; old acquantaince ( see 竹馬の友)
And as for 意気投合, it's what happens when the chance meeting (縁) goes so well that you become fast friends, specifically when you have the desire and opportunity to see that friendship continue down the line.

Use it with する。

When I first learned this one, again from my Yojijukugo tutor, Otao-san, she gave me the following example: 偶然で会ったけど、意気投合して、友情を育みました. For today's example sentence, I'll use my very simple attempt at applying it, which drew a laugh at the time.

例文:意気投合して、結婚しました.
We met, hit it off, and got married.

2 comments:

Defendership said...

Nice to have you back, Jeff. In your absence a pack of badgers (which I didn't even know lived in Japan) tried to take over the blog. It wasn't pretty.

Claytonian said...

You gots the hacked?

ジェフ、ブレッド、コリン、カシ、ならびに誰だっけさん。みんなと意気投合のような関係だったので今にもちょっと寂しい。

Jeff, Brett, Colin, Cassie, and whassisname. They were the the peanut butter to my jelly, so I still miss em.