「日刊四字」へようこそ!

Now Featuring 1級 Grammar, Everyday Japanese That You Won't Find in the Book, and Language and Cultural Trivia!

Monday, April 21, 2008

因果応報

いんがおうほう
inga ouhou

Today's Yo-ji post was something I came across by accident. I went to GEO GEO to look for the movie The Crow, starring the late Brandon Lee*. They didn't have the movie but, strangely enough, they had the soundtrack, which they offered me instead. I didn't want it but I felt like it would be rude not to at least look at it and when I did, one of the tracks jumped out at me because it was (are you ready for this?) a Yo-ji-juku-go. And it's an apt selection, because 因果応報 is what The Crow is all about.

*I started wanting to watch the movie, because I've been thinking a lot about crows.^
^I've been thinking a lot about crows because Brett got attacked by crows twice last week.

Definition:
良い行いをした人には良い報い、悪い行いをした人には悪い報いがある。つまり、やった行いに対しての報いが返ってくること。
Translations:
1. What goes around, comes around
2. You reap what you sow.
3. Karma
4. Retribution
5. Karmic retribution
6. Retributional karma.

My net research, ever fruitful, reveals that 因果応報 can be used in both positive and negative connotations, and that when you use it, you can use it with で. There is another yo-ji-juku-go, that means specifically "Sow Evil, Reap Evil." I think I'll hang onto that for a future post though.

例文:
ピーター・パーカは本当の力を持ていても、奪おうとしている犯人を逃がしてやった。因果応報で自分のおじさんがその犯人に殺された。その後悔はクモに噛まれたことより、スパイダ・マンと言うヒーローの由来だよ。
Peter Parker had real power, and yet he let the robber go free. It was an act of karma that his own Uncle was then killed by that same criminal. That one regret, more than being bitten by a spider can be considered the origin of the hero called Spiderman.

Question of the day: If 因果応報 was a projectile weapon, what would it be?

Boomerang! You really DO always come back!

2nd Question of the Day: Is there a way I could have possibly been a BIGGER dork in this post?

1 comment:

Bobby Judo said...

Bonus: This was my original reibun:

Lang-8というウェッブサイトは本当にすばらしいサイトと思います。色々な言語を勉強している人が書いた作文などみれて、自分の作文や日記なども載せられます。それでコメントで人の間違いを皆で正せます。英語を勉強している人に教えてあげると、因果応報で日本語を教えてもらえるかなと思いながら,そのサイトに新規登録しました。
I think Lang-8 is a great site. You can browse the journals and essays of people studying all kinds of different languages, and you can post your own as well. Then, everyone can comment on your journal, and help correct your mistakes. I signed up thinking that if I helped correct some people's English, by the same token, someone might help me with Japanese.

Tell me why it doesn't scan to a Japanese person, and should not stand as an example of using 因果応報。