「日刊四字」へようこそ!

Now Featuring 1級 Grammar, Everyday Japanese That You Won't Find in the Book, and Language and Cultural Trivia!

Thursday, November 6, 2008

2級 Grammar 181-185

Today was a pretty incredible day for America, and not just from a political standpoint. Anybody who muddled through the examples will have realized exactly who I was rooting for and why I might be tempted to assault you all with a slew of new sentences now that everything is decided. I will, however, refrain. There are dozens of sites already devoted to the subject, but only one site dedicated to providing five Japanese grammar points. Which will be about Nintendo's new handheld, the DSi!

181) ~をきっかけに ・ ~をきっかけとして(にして)
Taking advantage of ~, ...
Since ~, I figured ....
Since ~, I may as well ...

Another one that's kind of tricky to provide a direct translation. Something happens that makes it easy for something else to happen, and so you go ahead and do it. "Since I had a kid, I figured I would stop smoking". Only applicable after nouns.

Ex. 新しいDSiの発表をきっかけに、僕の昔のDSヘビーを代わる。




182) ~を契機に ・ ~を契機として ・ ~を契機にして
See above, add formality

Ex. 日本のDSLiteの販売は下りを契機にこの新しい品物を発表するごとは偶然ではありません。


183) ~をこめて(込めて)
put ~ into it

Okay, I admit that one definition is a little dirty (to me), but it's a good broad definition for this phrase. The key point is that it's mostly used for intangibles, like when you "put some love into your cooking", or "put all your strength into your baseball swing".

Ex. 任天堂に信用を込めてDSi買ってしまった。ちょっと衝動買いなんですけど。。。

184) ~を中心に ・ ~を中心として ・ ~を中心にして
~ becomes/is the core/center/focus/heart

Snag this sucker onto a noun and it does just what that definition implies - emphasize that noun as the most critical part of something else.

Ex. DSiはDSLiteと異なることはカメラを中心として、PSPでもこの特徴がない。


185) ~を通じて (をつうじて) ・ を通して (をとおして)
Through ~, ...
By means of ~, ...
Via ~, ...

You use this when some third-party helps in accomplishing something. "Through your powers combined, I am Captain Planet!". Again, only on nouns!

Ex. ベスト電器に働いている友達を通じて、誰もより早く予約できた。

And that's it for today's grammar. Just six more entries to go!

No comments: